Who We Are
History & Facility
David Hudson came west in 1799 to inspect and survey the land he and some associates purchased from the Connecticut Land Company - present day Hudson Township. He and his associates returned the following year, 1800, with their families to begin the arduous task of clearing the land, building homes - and a church! Our first services began shortly after their arrival here on June 5, 1800; and we were chartered on September 4, 1802.
We were part of David Hudson’s larger dream, which included both a church and a college for the training of congregational ministers. The Western Reserve College, started in 1826, is now part of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. The Western Reserve Academy (just across the street to the east and north from the church) now uses the college campus.
Our first building was a log cabin; in 1820 the church constructed a building on the spot where City Hall now stands. The original sanctuary at our current site was built in 1865; the three story addition to the rear of the sanctuary, Ellsworth wing, was added in 1924. The two story educational Walbridge wing, built in 1959, was replaced by the new west wing called the Bicentennial Building, constructed in 2000.
The three buildings: Sanctuary, Ellsworth Wing and the Bicentennial Building, encompass 50,500 square feet on a 2.2 acre lot in downtown Hudson. All three buildings surround a serene courtyard that seats one-hundred for Summer morning outdoor services and our Columbarium.
The Ellsworth Wing now houses the Youth Room, (6th through 12th grades), on the 3rd floor; the Music level contains a large choir room, bell choir room and offices on the 2nd floor; and on the lower floor, the 1924 fellowship hall, is now called the Activity Room. The Activity Room has a fully functional commercial grade kitchen used daily by the Children's Center.
The Bicentennial Building houses ministerial offices and the Children's Center Director's office on the 3rd floor; on the 2nd floor are the Administration and Finance offices and the 4300-square-foot Fellowship Hall, complete with a full commercial grade kitchen. The Bicentennial Building's 1st floor is now the educational floor with eleven rooms for Sunday School, the Friend's Class, the Children's Center's classes, crib room, and meeting rooms.
March 2015 marks the 150 year anniversary of the sanctuary, which went through a complete renovation in the summer of 2014. The chancel area was expanded, electrical wiring and fixtures all updated, painting completed throughout and trim work added to the beautiful windows.